Be sure to check out our training webinar on Open Enrollment and our Payroll Integration. You can view the recorded training here.
The purpose of this document is to walk through OE when a group is using our integrated payroll product. Sending over ended, updated, or new elections will take place during OE closeout. Remember, if your company is using Subscriber Groups, the deduction information will only be sent the employee's Primary Subscriber Group. If you have questions about OE in Employee Navigator in general, please see the following article: Open Enrollment Setup.
To set-up OE, go to the Benefits Tab> Select Open Enrollment>Add an Open Enrollment > Input the following dates:
- Effective Date (Should be the first day of the plan year)
- Enrollment Start Date and time
- Enrollment End Date and time
- Admin End Date
- Once this is complete you will Select the plans to be included in the Open Enrollment by placing a check mark in the box next to the plan and then move to the Ending Plans tab to decide what you would like the enrollments in your current plans to do when ended.
- Next, you will click on 'Payroll' and you will select "View Deduction Codes". Click into each established payroll group and confirm that that deduction codes that have been enter are up to date. If the codes are not populated prior to the employee's election, we will not be able to send over the values to payroll and we will prevent you from closing out OE.
- If a plan does not need to have a code populated, such as an Employer-paid plan, then the transmission option of "Never Send" should be selected.
- Once the payroll deduction codes have been populated and you have selected Save on the page, you are able to select "Back to Open Enrollment Setup" to take you back to the OE Edit page.
Now let's skip ahead to the Advanced Options to talk about sending OE elections over to payroll.
- The Advanced Options tab will allow you to elect and save your Open Enrollment closeout date. Once this has been selected, you will return to the Payroll tab to select your "Send Deductions to Payroll" date.
- The Payroll tab allows you to select your "Send Deductions to Payroll" date. A close out date must be selected in order to select a "Send Deductions to Payroll" date.
- When selecting a "Send deductions to Payroll" date, you must select a date after the last processed pay cycle for your old plan year, and if possible, a few to several days prior to when the group will process their first payroll of the new plan year where the newly effective deductions are expected to come out.
- The earliest 'Send Deductions Date' you are able to elect is one day following the selected OE Closeout Date.
Once the date to send the deduction information to payroll is selected, you cannot change the selected date. Be sure to review and carefully select the "Send deduction to payroll" date because it is important that these new records are not sent to payroll before the last payroll for the old plans is processed!
Company A has plans that are effective 3/1/2019, and their employees are going to through OE. The company has selected a close-out date of 2/28/2019 and a "Send Deductions to Payroll" date of 3/3/2019 because payroll is processed for the company on 3/7/2019 and HR wants some time to review payroll before it is processed. Employee Navigator can’t transmit new elections until after the last payroll for the plans ending 2/28 have been processed in payroll. We want to be sure that we do not send the new deductions for the pay cycle that needed to include the deductions for the prior plan year.
Am I able to see a report of the deductions that are going to be sent payroll after close out?
Yes, after OE close out you are able to generate the OE Scheduled Deductions Report. This report can be accessed from your Payroll tab>Reports>OE Scheduled Deductions Report. This report will include anything that is queued with the "Send deductions to payroll" date.
I want the newly elected deductions to be send over to payroll on two different dates, am I able to do this?
No. At this time you can only select one date to send over the deduction information for all plans.
If an employee was enrolled in coverage during the prior plan year, and then declines coverage for the current plan year, will an end date be sent to payroll?
Yes. We we will send an end date to payroll with a $0 value to end the existing deduction.