How to enable settings to track class changes by date in an 834 EDI file
When a carrier requires the 834 EDI feed to report a date based on a change in class structure (business unit, class, division, etc.) two separate areas of the configuration must be activated as outlined below. Usually the carrier requests the change in coverage start date (348) or maintenance effective date (303).
- HRIS Field Tracking needs to be turned "on" for the required EE profile value(s),
- Each plan needs to be set to update the date associated with the change on the file
To enable this functionality, follow the steps below:
- Turn on HRIS Field Tracking by navigating to the "Settings" tab >> HRIS Field Tracking >>select the appropriate page within the EE Profile and then select "Track Changes" next to that value.
- Note: "Profile" is where the Class/Div/Dept values are located
- Navigate to each affected plan(s) and select Advanced >> EDI Change Fields
- Note: "Profile" is the default selection here but if you need to change, just select from the drop-down menu,
- Select the Field you need changes to be tracked by the carrier
- If the carrier is requesting a new coverage date enter a checkbox in Write New Coverage Start Date (DTP*348)
- If the carrier is requesting a new maintenance code date, enter a checkbox in Write Maintenance Code Date (DTP*303)
- Save the page and complete for each class structure this is being requested for. For example, if your EDI feed is tracking date changes for Division, select the applicable checkbox next to the Division field.
Once this is completed and an employee in one of those categories have a change, the system will prompt you to enter the date of change. That date will then appear in the EDI file in the appropriate DTP date segment that was selected.
We suggest that once you have updated these settings that you test the configuration to confirm it is functioning as expected. First you should enter a test employee, run a baseline file, then make a class/div/dept change (based on specific settings) and then run a new file. Once you see the value change, you can delete that test employee.
Employees who had class changes PRIOR to turning on these values will only display the most recent value in the DTP348. If the carrier requires a retro DTP303 value on the file, you may need to manually manipulate the record to appear.