Riders are optional supplemental benefits added to a policy that provide employees additional coverage for an additional cost. Riders can be configured with tobacco/non-tobacco rates, as a flat amount or based on coverage level, and can be set as required or optional during the employees enrollment process. Riders have been expanded by allowing the user to add multiple versions. Versions are mapped to one or more states, and can have different benefit amounts, units and costs.
What is a Version?
Riders are built using a two-level structure. The parent level defines the rider name, description, and identifier. For example, a wellness rider would be defined first at the parent level. The parent level is accessed by clicking the "Rider Details" panel. The description is intended to be a description of the Rider provided by the carrier. It is not employee facing.
Each rider must have at least one version. Costs, benefit amount, units, and whether or not to use tobacco rates are set at the version level. Each version is mapped to at least one state. This allows different rider rates and benefit amounts to display during enrollment to employees with different Situs states.
Each enrollment can only evaluate 1 version at a time.
Plan setup > Benefits > Riders tab
Carriers can add riders to their library giving brokers easy access to add the correct rider(s) to plans. By clicking the “Add from Library” button, you will see available riders for the selected plan type.
You also have the ability to create your own rider from scratch. To do so, click the “Create New” button.
Step 1: Create Rider
- Rider Name: Field displayed to employee during the enrollment process (e.g. Wellness benefit)
- Description: Optional field designed for a carrier's description of the Rider. This field is for admin use only and will not surface for employees in enrollment flow
- Identifier: Optional field used in XML transmission
- Rates based on: Coverage tier, flat, or per person (Voluntary Life model only). You will enter the rate when adding rider versions.
- Is Optional: Set to make optional to the employee during enrollment. If unset, rider is considered required and applied to all employees enrolling in plan
- Include in Contributions (Medical model plans only): If selected, the rider cost will be included in the plan's premium for the purpose of calculating employer contributions.
Step 2: Add a version to your new rider. Click add.
- State: Required. Best practice, if there is only 1 rider version, select 'All States'. If using specific states, the appropriate state version will be evaluated on the enrollment page, and the employee will be presented the applicable rider version assigned to situs state of the plan if set, else company situs, or else company state.
- Benefit: Optional field if rider has a benefit amount. Benefit amount is not displayed to employee during enrollment, but can be surfaced on the employee’s data sheet > rider extension records. Benefit amount is used in carrier XML transmission.
- Unit: Indicates the number of units for a given rider. Enter the cost of each unit, and unit X rate = total cost of rider. Units are used in carrier XML transmission.
- Is Active?: Toggle that indicates if this Rider should be Active for enrollment.
- Use Tobacco Rates?: Toggle that indicates whether or not to differentiate rates by tobacco usage.
- Cost: Monthly per unit cost.
Tip! If plan does not include child coverage, input the Employee cost for the + Child Amount field.
During employee enrollment, riders are displayed at the bottom of the page under the Review and/or elect riders section.
Medical Model and Voluntary Life Model Plans both support riders.
For Voluntary Life model plans: When elected, rider cost(s) will be included in the total employee per pay cost (on Benefits/Enrollment Summary), and is also included in the total employee monthly premium. Admin users can also view more detailed information on the employee data sheet under the Plan Enrollment Rider Extensions section.
For Medical model plans: The rider will be surfaced once the employee selects the contingent plan. If required, the Rider cannot be deselected. If optional, the employee can select the Rider and "Recalculate" their plan cost to view their new per-pay premium. Admin users can view the Rider cost in more detail on the employee's data sheet.
Note! We currently do not support Medical riders on plans which are not Composite rated.
- Riders costs based on age or elected benefit amount are not supported at this time - but coming soon!
- No rider report is available to show which employees elected the rider(s) at this time. Rider details can be viewed from the employee data sheet
- Optional riders are not included in passive enrollment during open enrollment
- Medical model riders are only supported on Composite rated plans
- Optional riders and riders that have rates based on coverage tier cannot be imported