Although terminated employees do not have access to Employee Navigator once terminated in the system, an admin user is still able to manage their enrollments via our COBRA Dashboard. When your groups are going through an active open enrollment, be sure to include your COBRA participants in the closeout process. This seamless process will trigger the system to include your COBRA participants for renewal.
** WARNING, you MUST close out the Open Enrollment ON the Plans effective Start Date to avoid the Black Out Period. What is the Black out period? The period between when you close out the Open Enrollment window and the renewal plans' effective date. No Qualifying Events will transmit to your TPA during this time.**
For your COBRA enrollees to be included in the closeout process, be sure to check if the desired employees have Elected COBRA for the current policy year. You can verify by navigating to the COBRA Dashboard from the Company’s Homepage and viewing the Candidates. The Candidates will indicate those employees who are COBRA eligible but have not yet elected to continue their group health plan. The Enrolled section will surface all employees who have Elected COBRA with an active enrollment record.
- Check the Candidates Section to see if there are any EEs that should currently be enrolled in COBRA
- Check the Enrolled Section to ensure the employee is enrolled in a group health plan as expected.
In the Open Enrollment, under the Company’s Benefits Tab, there are certain steps that need to be completed upon Closeout, particularly in the Ending Plans Tab. The Ending Plans tab tells the system what to do with the current plans that are about to end. The plans listed below are currently supported during the Open Enrollment Closeout process for COBRA participants. These include:
To include COBRA participants, edit your active Open Enrollment and click on the Ending Plans Tab. Be sure to check the box to Include COBRA to ensure the closeout process applies to COBRA participants as well as active employees.
Next, set your plans to either a:
- Passive Enroll- This will automatically roll over any COBRA employee into the renewal plan. It will also update their rates should there be a rate change.
- Passive Decline- This setting will End the COBRA participants’ enrollment. The EE’s COBRA Dashboard will update the Paid Through and Coverage End Date to reflect the Plan End Date (subject to differ depending on the plan termination rules).
- End All Elections- This setting will End the COBRA participants’ enrollment. The EE’s COBRA Dashboard will update the Paid Through and Coverage End Date to reflect the Plan End Date (subject to differ depending on the plan termination rules).
Although a COBRA employee may be enrolled in other COBRA eligible plans, please be mindful of which plans the system supports during the Open Enrollment Closeout process.
For more information on Open Enrollment Closeout process please click here.
Following your Closeout, you will want to check employees in the COBRA Dashboard to confirm the benefits have been updated to the new Plan year. The employee's Eligible Start/ End Date will not change.
***Please keep in mind, the OE Closeout Process does not update the Coverage level. This will require a manual step.
- During Open Enrollment, does a COBRA participants rate update the COBRA billing summary or Detail Reports if the plan is an ACA rated plan?
Answer: The rates are updated as expected with the new plan rates.
- How do I add cobra coverage during Open Enrollment?
Answer: The admin user will use the Dashboard to elect COBRA for the employee. You will update the Plan, coverage level and Start date in the COBRA Enrollment Editor.
** WARNING** If you are connected to a Vendor partner, you MUST close out the Open Enrollment ON the Plans effective Start Date to avoid the Black Out Period. What is the Black out period? The period between the Open Enrollment Closeout date and the renewal plans' effective date. No Qualifying Events will transmit to your TPA during this time.**