PREPARING FOR YOUR 1:1 SELF SERVICE 834 EDI TRAINING SESSION
IMPORTANT NOTE: Before beginning the 834 EDI implementation process, determine which of your users will be managing the Self-Service 834 EDI process for your agency (i.e. the EDI User). The EDI User must also be designated as a Premier User for your agency with access to phone and ticket support. If the EDI user is not already a Premier User, you may contact us to request that we change the Premier User on your account, or you may add an additional Premier User to your license. For more information on Premier Users or to download the Premier User Order form, view the article below:
834 EDI Training Prerequisites
Please follow the steps outlined below in preparation for your training. Please note that Employee Navigator reserves the right to postpone training if it is determined that you have not completed these prerequisite steps. Details to each of these steps are outlined below. Please note that the items do not have to be completed in this order and many can actually happen concurrently.
Step 1: Join an Advanced Enrollment Management Training Webinar (Module 10.1) - register here
Prior to your 1:1 training, we require that your EDI User join an EDI Training webinar (Module 10.1). Please note that we track this so if you have not joined a session your request for 1:1 training will be rejected.
Step 2: Contact your carrier to collect the required documents.
For pre-configured carriers, include:
- Group/Account Structure - Document provided by your carrier which includes the policy number, carrier tax id, and other specific values or requirements they expect to be programmed into the file. This document is often sent in a word document, excel spreadsheet or even just the body of an email.
- Transmission Details - Document also provided by your carrier that provides details on how the carrier expects to receive the file.
- Carrier Contact - This is the technical contact at the carrier who is responsible for facilitating the carrier feed implementation
For a new carrier configuration request, include the above plus:
- Companion Guide - The carrier-specific 834 guide EN needs to create a new carrier 834 template
- New Carrier Set-up Request Form - EN form required for billing purposes
Step 3: Subscribe to the 834 EDI Forums
Our 834 EDI product is managed via the Support Site so we require the EDI user to subscribe to the appropriate forums to be notified when we add a new article, release enhancements and/or modify our processes. Our recommendation is to subscribe to the 3 forums outlined below. You can subscribe by going to the main Support site, then scrolling down to the Self Service 834 EDI section, click on the header "Getting Started" which will bring you to the forum and then click the "subscribe" link with envelope.
- Self Service EDI > Getting Started
- Self Service EDI> Carrier Configuration Descriptions
- Self Service EDI > Using Employee Navigator's EDI Engine
Step 4: Review the following articles & videos:
Employee Navigator has found that it is important to have a basic understanding of carrier feeds and our EDI Engine so we ask that you take the time to educate yourself by reviewing the following articles:
- Export Engine Overview to familiarize yourself with the Self Service Engine.
- EDI Transmission protocol's, please take time to review our article about transmission, EN supported protocol's and process to set-up an automated transmission from the engine.
If you have completed the above items, you are now ready to submit your support ticket for 1:1 EDI Training!
- The request for 1:1 EDI training must be submitted by a Premier User. If your EDI user has not been designated as a Premier User, please review the Important Note regarding Premier User designation at the beginning of this article.
- Label the subject line of your ticket: "Request for 1:1 EDI Training"
- In the body of the email, please advise what company and carrier you want to use for the training session.
- Attach the required documentation, outlined below - please note, if you are requesting a NEW carrier configuration, you will also need to attach the New Carrier Request form; this form is required for billing purposes.
- Group/Account Structure
- Transmission Details
- Carrier Contact Info
During the 1:1 EDI Training session, we will review the following items:
- How to choose which plans to include in the file and assign the carrier-required code (HLT, DEN, VIS, etc)
- How to create rules, only if applicable
- Guide first time user on how to input the company-specific elements in the loops & segments
- How to set-up & test transmission
- How to complete an employee & dependent demographic audit prior to sending your first test file
- Overview of how to complete the testing phase with your carrier
- Moving a file to production
- How to ensure your plans & files are renewed properly
- How to deactivate a file