The purpose of this article is to provide an explanation of the 834 Carrier Feed testing process and to provide a guide for first time users who may be unfamiliar with the different types of testing and the carrier expectations.
Data Validation & Scenario Testing
Before you complete any testing, Employee Navigator highly recommends any EDI administrator to complete an employee and dependent audit. By completing this audit, you will greatly decrease the amount of time spent during the data validation phase.
*only if rules are mapped by class or division
**only when sending a Guardian file with salary-based plans included.
Some carriers require an extra layer of testing, often referred to as scenario testing. It is a testing activity that uses hypothetical situations to confirm the system can perform certain functions such as terminations, additions, coverage level changes, etc.
- If a carrier requires scenario testing, you will first need to create test employees in Employee Navigator, enroll them and send test file #1. Once test file #1 is approved you will then need to follow the carriers instructions and complete the changes for each use case in Employee Navigator then send the next test file for approval.
- Once your file has been approved for production, do not forget to remove the test employees by using the "Delete Employee" tool. If the carrier asks to use the final test file as a production file and your use cases are included, either they will need to remove the test employees manually or you will need to send a new file without those test employees.
Additional items to Note:
- By design, "Demo Employees" do NOT populate on an 834 file. If you need to include test employees on the file, you will need to use the "Add Employee" function and add an actual test employee. Just don't forget to go back & delete them when you are done.
- If you are attempting to test while holding an active OE, Employee Navigator's recommendation is to wait until after close-out and send enrollments another method, for example by spreadsheet. If, however, you need to complete testing while in OE, you have 2 options:
- To generate a test file with the current year enrollments - this requires that current year enrollments be loaded in Employee Navigator.
- If you are using this option, because your group is also in OE, you have to remember that when approved you will need to map the future plans so that enrollments are captured once close-out is completed.