CAUTION: IMPORTING DATA CANNOT BE REVERSED. WE HAVE MADE IT VERY EASY TO IMPORT DATA, WHICH MEANS IT IS VERY EASY TO CORRUPT YOUR DATA.
The basic import allows users to import employees, dependents, profile updates, and enrollment records. This article focuses on importing employees and dependents. Users should exercise caution when using these tools because of the potential damage they can inflict on your company data.
Things you should know before you get started:
- If employees have already been loaded, importing blank cells will overwrite existing data in the system for most fields. Make sure this is really what you want to do!
- When you are importing employees and dependents, the employee must have "Employee" noted in the “Relationship” column on the spreadsheet for the system to recognize this individual as an employee.
- If you are setting up a new company, we recommend you setting up your “Classes” (departments, divisions, etc.) first so you can be sure to include the necessary “class” and payroll information on the census.
- When importing a change to employee data which affects eligibility, use the Demographic Change Import and include the correct Demographic Change Effective Date.
- When importing new employees, the following fields are required: Social Security Number (SSN), First Name, Last Name, Date of Hire, Date of Birth, Gender, Class
- When UPDATING employees, the SSN, Last Name, and First Name are always required.
- Use our import templates whenever possible to reduce the risk of errors. Even if "Enrollments" is selected for "What are you importing?", any demographic data on the import file will overwrite the employee's existing data (such as class, hire date, termination date, etc.)
- If the dependents have been added to the system with an SSN, the dependent's SSN must be included on any future imports where those dependents appear on the file in order for the system to recognize that the dependent exists in the system.
- If a a group is integrated with payroll, terminations should be processed through the payroll carrier and not imported into EN.