Our Advanced Payroll Tracking module is an advanced feature that schedules payroll deductions based on the effective date of the enrollment change. This scheduling includes credits and catch-up deductions when retro-active changes occur for pay periods that have already passed. The payroll deductions are scheduled into pay periods, and an administrator is able to review and make changes if needed. Once the payroll changes for that period are validated, the administrator can extract a deduction file that can then be saved to a local desktop. The file can then be loaded into a payroll system (typically by the administrator).
This is not a direct integration product and files do not automatically feed into payroll vendor systems. Administrators are responsible for manually processing the payroll files, saving a copy to their desktops and submitting the file to the payroll vendor. Additionally, it is also the responsibility of the administrators to preview and audit the files before submitting to payroll.
As of now, Employee Navigator must be notified of interest in the advanced payroll change tracking feature, as this product must be configured and activated by Employee Navigator. Agency/admin users cannot set this up correctly on their own. If interested, please submit a ticket into support.
This advanced payroll product is available for all companies under an agency that is licensed with our Elite license. For agencies licensed with Enhanced and Enhanced Plus, this product can be purchased on a per company basis for an additional $20/company/month.
When purchasing on a per company basis, you must complete the Advanced Payroll License Order Form (attached below) and submit into support.
Employee Navigator does not offer 1:1 trainings for Advanced Payroll Tracking, as we provide the necessary support articles and videos out on our support site to help assist with the setup and everyday use of this product. It is the agency’s responsibility to understand the advanced payroll setup and to confirm the correct setup options with their clients. It is also the agency’s responsibility to train and support their clients on the day-to-day of this product. As stated in our Support Model, Employee Navigator supports the premier user(s) under our licensed agencies. We do not provide direct support to your clients. All support questions/issues must be filtered through agency premier users.
Before the advanced payroll tracking product can be configured for a company, all payroll setup pieces must be completed and reviewed for accuracy. Note! It's extremely important to confirm that the payroll setup pieces are correct prior to implementation, as some settings cannot be changed after advanced tracking is activated.
To setup/review payroll groups, calendars and deduction codes, go to the company's Payroll tab > Dashboard. New payroll groups can be added via the +Add a group button, and existing payroll groups can be reviewed/edited by clicking on the name of the group.
The following payroll pieces must be configured and correct prior to implementing the advanced payroll tracking product for a company:
- Payroll group(s)
- Payroll Calendar (and confirmed pay dates)
- Payroll Deduction Codes
- Customize Deduction Dates (if applicable)
Payroll deduction codes must be entered into the system BEFORE implementation and before employees enroll in the plans. If deduction codes aren't in the system at the time of enrollment and/or they are added in AFTER enrollments are processed, those deduction records will not be included in the payroll file. Instead, they must be added into the file manually via the add for tool within the report (top of page) prior to processing the payroll file.
Once these pieces are established and reviewed for accuracy, you will need confirm the correct advanced settings for the company. This may require an in-depth discussion with your client, as determining the correct setup is important.
You and/or your client will need to complete the attached Advanced Payroll Setup Form. We’ve explained each setup option listed on the form in detail below. Refer to these explanations when discussing with your clients. Once completed, submit the form to support.
Name of company to be setup with advanced payroll tracking.
Company Payroll Code
What is the company's specified payroll code with the payroll vendor?
Name of payroll group to be setup with advanced payroll tracking.
Pay frequency of designated payroll group.
Payroll File Type
Do you need to pull a Change Only file or a Full file?
- Change Only: File only includes payroll deduction changes.
- Full: File includes both deduction changes and recurring deductions.
Deduction File Type
Is the payroll deduction file type Payroll-Based or Earnings-Based?
- Payroll-Based: Pay period deduction cutoff date for the payroll file is the actual pay date. Ex: pay date is 1/15 and the deduction cutoff date is 1/15.
- Earnings-Based: Pay period deduction cutoff date for the payroll file is X number of days prior to the pay date. Ex: pay date is 1/15 and the deduction cutoff (earnings end) date is 1/8.
If Earnings-Based, how many calendar days prior to the pay date is the earnings end (cutoff) date?
We will need to know how many calendar days prior to your payroll calendar pay dates the earnings end (cut off) are. The system will use this number to automatically generate the earning dates for each pay date. Once Employee Navigator configures this under the Advanced Deduction Accruals setup page, a new sub tab for Earning Dates is created under the payroll group setup. It is the agency/admin's responsibility to confirm that the earning dates listed here are correct. Use this sub tab to modify individual earning dates if needed.
Add Deductions to Next Pay Period
When should deductions be added to the next pay period? Options are When Backdated or For Each Addition.
- When Backdated: When a deduction change is backdated, writes both a catchup (backdated) deduction and recurring deduction on the first initial payroll, and then writes only the ongoing recurring deduction in the second payroll (to indicate standard deduction going forward). While the two amounts appear separately on the on-screen display, they will be summed together as a lump amount when the file is generated. Note! This option should always be turned on when the output file format includes recurring and adjustment deductions in the same primary file. If the output file format has two files – one primary file and one adjustment file (output formats with '+ Adjustments') – this setting can be turned off.
- For Each Addition: Writes every deduction in the first and second payroll, regardless of whether there are any backdated changes. Note! Not a recommended setting, as there is no need to report the recurring deduction on two payroll files.
Payroll Codes Based on Coverage Level
Do the payroll deduction codes differ based on coverage levels? If so, Employee Navigator will set this up under the Advanced Deduction Accruals page. Once configured, the agency/admin user can input these deduction codes under Deduction Codes (payroll setup). Note! To bring up coverage level deduction fields, you will first need to enter in the EE only code. Once saved, the other coverage level fields will appear (once Employee Navigator has completed this setup piece)
Auto Process Payroll File on Pay Date
If yes, payroll deduction records will be automatically marked as processed on the pay date. Note! This is only recommended when using the advanced payroll tracking as an audit feature. If you are not using this setting, the system may mark the records as processed when it is too late for normal tracking purposes.
Selected Output File Format
Which payroll output file format will be used? Below are the output formats currently available in our system. Refer to the Payroll Output Format Templates workbook (attached below) to see examples of the change only files for each output file format.
- ADP Workforce Adjustments
- ADP Workforce Now 2.0
- ADP Workforce Now 2.0 + Paydata Adjustments (2 files – one primary and one adjustments)
- ADP Workforce Now 3.0
- ADP Workforce Now 3.0 + Paydata Adjustments (2 files – one primary and one adjustments)
- Custom ADP + Adjustments (2 files – one primary and one adjustments)
- Custom ADP Adjustments
- Custom Certipay + Adjustments
- Custom Deltek
- Default (Employee Navigator Default)
- Default + Adjustments (2 files – one primary and one adjustments)
Tracking Start Date (1st day of new pay period)
When should Employee Navigator begin tracking deductions? To determine the best tracking start date, you will need to confirm the company's upcoming pay periods and pay dates. The tracking start date must be the first day of a new pay period, not a day in the middle of a pay period.
For example, today's date is Feb 1st. The company's next new pay period begins on Feb 15th and ends on Feb 28th. The pay date for this pay period is March 15th. The tracking start date will be Feb 15th and the pay date of the first file to be pulled will be March 15th.
Note! Employee Navigator will need at minimum 2 weeks to configure the advanced payroll settings. Keep this in mind when choosing the tracking start date.
Pay Date for First File (1st file to be pulled)
This will be the pay date of the first payroll file pulled from the system. This will be the pay date for the pay period in which tracking began (above).
Check out our video on the overview and setup of this product here: Advanced Payroll Tracking: Setup & Overview Webcast
Please send completed Advanced Payroll Setup Form (and Advanced Payroll License Order Form if adding feature on a per company basis) into support with the subject line 'Company Name - Advanced Payroll Setup' and Employee Navigator will follow up once received. After we've configured the Advanced Deduction Accruals settings via the completed setup forms, we will notify you so that you can complete the remaining setup pieces for the earnings-based file type and coverage level deduction codes (when applicable).
Currently, only the following plan models support post-tax amounts:
- Voluntary Life
- Voluntary AD&D
- Critical Illness (Life & Medical models)
For all other plan models, pre/post tax deduction codes are not separated on this report. If both pre/post tax codes are inputted, the Employee Payroll Code will display as 'PRE-TAX/POST-TAX'.
The following changes processed via the enrollment editor are not supported:
- Cost/benefit overrides
- Drop coverage: file will reflect ended deduction date but not proper credits/adjustments
- Change coverage end date: file will reflect new ended deduction date but not proper credits/adjustments