The Rules Engine is a powerful tool which is used to drive many components including benefit eligiblity, documents, communications, and data interchange with insurance carriers. Configuring rules can be as simple or complex as needed to support the requirements of the desired action.
Types of Rules:
Simple Rule: Only one condition. There are 20 available conditions including: class, division, state, tobacco use, or gender.
- Sample Scenario: Rule targets Maryland, DC, and Virginia employees
- Sample Rule Configuration: State = Maryland, DC, Virginia
- Rule is true if employee address is either Maryland, DC, or Virginia
Tip! Age is greater than 40 and less than 70 sounds complex, but it’s really simple because there is only one condition being evaluated.
Complex Rule: More than one condition, where all conditions must be met for rule to be true. Think of this as the *AND* rule.
- Sample scenario: Rule targets Full-Time employees, *AND* living in Maryland, *AND* Male.
- Sample Rule Configuration: Complex Rules where conditions are Class = Full-time AND State = Maryland AND Gender = Male
- Rule is true when all conditions are met.
Tip! If you need to separate your conditions with *OR* instead of *AND* you need to use multiple complex rules.
Multiple Complex Rule: More than one complex rule, where each rule is evaluated separately. Think of this as the *either/or* rule.
- Sample scenario: Rule targets all Executives *OR* Full-time employees, living in Maryland, who are Male.
- Sample Rule Configuration: Multiple Rules where rule #1 is Class = Executive, and rule #2 is Class = Full-time AND State = Maryland AND Gender = Male
- Rule is true if *EITHER* the conditions of Rule #1 are met, *OR* if the conditions of Rule #2 are met.
- Turn rules on or off with the “Active” check box.
- If you don’t have an *OR* you should be using complex rules
See supplemental articlefor more information on Rules: https://employeenavigator.zendesk.com/entries/22147966-Rules-Engine-Guidelines-Instructions