Colonial Third Party App Plug-in & Plan Setup
Watch this quick video that will walk you through the steps outlined below:
1. Verify your license level. You must have the Enhanced Plus license level or above to access third party apps. If you're interested in upgrading your license level, please reach out to EN's support team.
2. Create the Harmony Account Shell. This requires coordination between a Harmony rep and your agency.
- New Accounts: During the New Account welcome call with Colonial, you must indicate that the new account is a plug-in with EN so that the Colonial/Harmony rep knows to create an EN/Harmony plug-in shell. If you forget to inform Colonial, a regular Harmony account shell will be created and you will then need to follow the steps below for Existing Accounts to correct it.
- Existing Accounts: Send an email to Colonial Life Connections at firstname.lastname@example.org to request an EN/Harmony plug-in shell for your account. Include the following info in your email: Name of the account(s), the plug-in partner (Employee Navigator) and the Harmony admin.
3. EN / Harmony Account Setup Form. This form comes from your Harmony rep. They will send you the completed setup form, which is used to setup the third party app plans in EN. If you have questions about the setup form, please direct those questions to your dedicated Harmony rep or Colonial Life Enrollment Solutions Help Desk at:
Colonial Life Enrollment Solutions Help Desk at:
1-800-438-6423; prompt 2 & 5
Hours of Operation: M-F 8am to 7pm
4. Setup Colonial third party app plug-in pieces. This is completed by your agency - not EN. The following plug-in pieces must be setup under the company's Third Party Apps navigation menu located on the Benefits tab > Third Party Apps (bottom left of page):
- External Account IDs
- External Enroller IDs (enrollers must be setup as HR users under the company first)
Note: We do not support one External Account ID for multiple companies. If multiple 'sister' companies are listed in Colonial under one account ID but setup in EN as separate companies, you will need to speak with your Colonial rep about assign each company a separate ID on their end.
5. Setup Colonial third party app plans. This is completed by your agency - not EN. Third party app plans can be setup under the company's Benefits tab > Add A Plan > Add a new plan > Colonial Life Marketplace (under Third Party Apps section at bottom). The following plan pieces must be setup:
- Carrier (Colonial)
- Plan type (Colonial Life Plan)
- Start date
- End date
- Eligibility Rules (same setup process as other plan models)
- Product group
- Available by enroller only (check or uncheck)
Once the plan setup is complete, the plan will need to be activated prior to processing the sync of data.
6. Add enrollers, if applicable.
Enrollers only have to be added to the system if you intend to host face-to-face or call center enrollments. Please review this article for instructions on adding enrollers to EN for enrollment purposes.
If you are not using enrollers, you can skip and move on to Step 7.
7. Complete company & employee level audits:
a) Confirm payroll groups are set-up appropriately:
Setup under company's Settings tab > Payroll. Once setup, assign ees to their corresponding payroll groups. Note: Payroll calendars must be configured back to the plan start dates. So, if a plan start date reflects 1/1/2012, you must configure payroll calendars for all calendar (not plan) years beginning 2012 - current.
Note! 3rd party apps don't support the Customize Deduction Dates tab under payroll setup. If a group has 26 pays and only 24 deductions, you will need to select a payroll frequency option for 24 pays - not 26. If you choose a pay frequency with 26 pays and skip 2, then your 3rd party app plan rates will be calculated off of 26 instead of the desired 24.
b) Confirm required ee demographic data. In order to bridge from EN to Harmony's platform, certain ee demographic fields are required to match. You can validate the data by pulling an ad-hoc report to ensure all required fields are completed for ees. The following fields are required:
- First Name
- Last Name
- Annual Base Salary
- Hours worked, if less than 40 hours per week
- Pay frequency (indicated by either class or payroll group)
- Job Title
- Address (Address 1, City, State & Zip)
- Home Phone Number
- Dependents - must have at minimum First/Last Name, DOB & Gender)
8. Syncing the Existing Coverages - This step is only required if the case has existing coverages. To access the Sync interface, go to the company's Benefits tab > Colonial Operations (under Third Party Apps section at bottom). THIS MUST BE DONE PRIOR TO ACTIVATING OPEN ENROLLMENT IN EMPLOYEE NAVIGATOR. COLONIAL SYNC FUNCTIONALITY IS DEACTIVATED ONCE AN OPEN ENROLLMENT SEASON IS ACTIVATED.
- Under Benefits > Colonial Operations - click Send Census to Colonial. This sends all ee demographic data to Harmony. Note: The system doesn't produce confirmation that the census was sent - just know that if you've hit the button, you've sent the census.
- After you've sent the census, you will need to notify your Harmony rep that the census was sent. Your rep will then need to execute the import of existing coverage on the back end and will confirm with you once the execution is complete and the file is ready to pull into Employee Navigator.
- Once you've received that confirmation, you will need to import the existing enrollment data into Employee Navigator. To do this, go back to the Colonial Operations page and click Import from Colonial. This pulls all existing ee coverage into EN. Note: If you run into issues when importing, click the View Request Logs button to view import error log details. Keep in mind that your Colonial plan start dates must reflect the earliest existing ee coverage effective date. So for example, if an ee has existing coverage effective 1/1/13, your Colonial plan(s) must reflect a start date of 1/1/13 or before.
9. Test your connection by enrolling a Test Employee. Before going live with the group, you'll want to test the enrollment process to ensure that everything was setup correctly and the third party app plug-in is working as expected. Colonial requires that your test ee has the last name Test. Be sure to complete all required demographic fields for test ee.
Once you've successfully tested and enrolled the test ee, please return to the ee's enrollment page to cancel the application. Remember - if the group is setup for enroller only, one of the enrollers will need to complete the testing process.
Note! If you're trying to test enrollment before the Enrollment Start Date listed on the EN/Colonial setup form, you'll need to temporarily push this date back to the current date in Harmony's system. If you don't have access to Harmony's system, then you'll need to reach out to your Harmony rep and request that they push this date back to allow for testing. Once testing is complete, change the dates back to the original in Harmony's system (or let your rep know so that they can do this).
Colonial Plans & Open Enrollment Helpful Hints:
EN can only have 1 plan set up per product in Colonial's system. This means you can't create both a current and renewal plan per product. Instead, you should create one plan and extend the end date out several years (we recommend 2050). This will allow you to import existing coverages and include the plan in OE each year.
Do: Create 1 plan per product and extend the plan End Date.
Don't: Create separate current and open plans per product. This results in duplicate enrollments for EEs.