Employee Navigator's Unum App does not currently have an automated method to transmit employment terminations to Unum.
In order to keep Unum apprised on any employment terminations, EN created a Third Party Operations page to generate a pre-approved file to send to Unum so they can process employment terminations. Benefits > Third Party Apps navigation menu (bottom left) > General Operations link. This report will surface terminations processed between the selected date range. Use an ad-hoc report to view termination reports based off of termination effective dates.
2 items to note:
- Because this report has PHI, the licensee data should be handled with the utmost care and security.
- During implementation, please discuss how to handle the transmission of this report to Unum. Some important items to include in the discussion are:
- Frequency? The frequency you send this file should be determined by the broker & Unum Case Manager. Typically the timing will depend on the specific Client's billing cycle. EN recommends sending this file at least one (1) time per month.
- What method is being used to transmit the file? (secure email, loading to Unum's secure server, etc) The EN Broker/Reseller will have to generate and transmit the file to their own Unum FTP site in order to process termination change updates. A different FTP site will need to be configured by Unum for each Broker Licensee therefore it is important that the Broker and Unum Implementation specialist discuss whether a site setup is required or if an existing FTP site was previously configured.
- Who is responsible for sending the file? Determine who the designated Broker/Reseller is responsible for transmitting and receiving the termination change files. The user should have full access to sensitive employee information belonging to all groups within the brokerage.
- Who is the file sent to and what is the standard turnaround time for processing?
If an employee would like to cancel or change their policy mid-year, that has to be completed by contacting Unum directly. These changes will be made by a Unum team member into the billing system directly. Because of this limitation, we recommend our licensee's use Unum's monthly billing report to manage payroll deduction reporting for these products.
** To ensure all enrollment terminations are captured on EN (i.e. late processed terminations are accounted for), we recommend requesting and importing a full enrollment sync file from your Unum Implementation specialist prior to OE. EN will replace all existing Unum enrollment details with that on the import file in order to sync the two systems before the live enrollment period.