See the details below for information on determining if an individual is a Protected Veteran.
STEP 1: The individual must meet the conditions identifying them as a Veteran.
1. A Veteran who served on active duty in the U.S. Military (*See 38 USC § 101(21) for a full list of service that may be counted as active duty.)
2. A Veteran discharged or released from service under conditions other than dishonorable.
STEP 2: If the individual meets the Veteran conditions in numbers 1and 2 above, review the categories below to determine if the employee is a Protected Veteran. The individual must meet the conditions of one or more categories below to identify as a Protected Veteran.
- A Veteran of the U.S. Military who is entitled to compensation(or who but for the receipt of military retired pay would be entitled to compensation) under laws administered by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs
- A Veteran discharged or released from active duty because of a service connected disability?
RECENTLY SEPARATED VETERAN
- A veteran discharged or released from active duty within the last three years
ACTIVE DUTY WARTIME OR CAMPAIGN BADGE VETERAN
- A Veteran who served on active duty during one or more of the periods of war outlined in 38 U.S.C. § 101?†
- A Veteran who served on active duty in any campaign or expedition for which a campaign badge has been authorized under the laws administered by the Department of Defense?
†Period of War Dates: Korean Conflict June 27, 1950 – January 31, 1955; Vietnam Era February 28, 1961 – May 7, 1975 for veterans serving in the Republic of Vietnam or August 5, 1964 – May 7, 1975 for all other cases; Persian Gulf War August 2, 1990 – current.
ARMED FORCES SERVICE MEDAL VETERAN
- A Veteran who served on active duty in a U.S. military operation for which an Armed Forces Service Medal was awarded pursuant to Executive Order 12985 (61 FR 1209) and were you awarded the Armed Forces Service Medal?
- A Veteran awarded the Armed Forces Service Medal and listed in the Veteran's DD Form 214
View the infographic issued by the Department of Labor entitled "Am I a Protected Veteran" attached to this article.