Assigning Employees to a Manager
To improve the efficiency of requesting time off, employees can be assigned to a manager who can review, approve and deny time off requests. Managers have visibility into the Time Off Profiles for members of their own team which will make it easier for them to schedule, manage, and track time off requests for their subordinates.
Managers receive system generated emails notifying them anytime one of their employee's requests or cancels time off and can approve or deny requests right from their email.
To take advantage of this convenience, each employee should be properly assigned to the manager to which they report. There are different ways to assign employees to their respective manager in the system. For details on each process, select a topic below or review the entire article to see which option works best for the company.
Assign one or more manually selected employees to a Manager
When the PTO module is first being implemented, you can easily assign employees to a manager during the PTO setup process.
Follow the steps below to assign employees to a manager who do not already have a manager listed on their employee profile.
PTO > SETUP > Assign Managers
- Type the Manager's last name into the search box and select the appropriate individual.
- Check the employees to be assigned to the manager or 'Select All'.
- Only employees who have not already been assigned to a Manager will be displayed. Process changes to Manager assignments on the Employee Profile.
- The number of employees displayed will be limited to 50. To create manager assignments for employee's not displayed, process changes on the Employee Profile or Import the Employee/Manager Assignments.
Assign an individual employee to a Manager from the Employee Profile
To assign an individual employee to a Manager through the Employee Profile, follow the steps below:
EMPLOYEES > FIND AN EMPLOYEE > PROFILE
- Type the Last Name of the Manager into the Manager field to search.
- Select the Manager.
Import Employee/Manager assignment
To import a spreadsheet listing employees and their managers, follow the steps below.
* Note that this process can be used to assign employees to a Manager for the first time, or to make changes to an employee's Manager assignment.
HOME > Import Employees & Enrollment
- Click on Download templates.
- Select the Managers template.
- Open the downloaded Excel file
- Complete the required fields for each employee
- Employee SSN
- Last Name
- First Name
- Manager SSN (Note that the manager must have an employee record in the system prior to processing the import)
Q: Can I assign multiple managers to one employee?
A: No. Each employee can only be assigned to one manager
Q: What if the manager is out of town, can someone else approve their employee's time off requests?
A: Yes. HR Users have access to approve and deny time off requests for all employees.
Q: Can a HR User approve their own time off requests?
A: Yes. HR Users can approve their own time off requests even if they have a manager assigned.
Q: If an employee is not assigned to a manager, who receives email notifications of the employee's time off requests?
A: HR Users will receive email notifications for an employee who is not assigned to a Manager.
Q: The Manager is not receiving emailed time off notifications for their employees, why?
A: Check to make sure that the Manager has the correct email address on their employee Profile and that they have registered in Employee Navigator. Time Off notifications for employees assigned to a manager who has not registered, or does not have an email address in the system will be sent to HR.
Q: Why isn't the PTO calendar and contacts are not being displayed on the Manager's home page?
A: At least one of the Manager's subordinates must be assigned to a PTO package.