Tasks are created within Task Categories. A Task should be created for each item that an employee is required to complete. The Task itself does not contain any content until a Version of the Task has been created.
Each Task will have a status of Active or Inactive. Active tasks will display a green indicator and Inactive tasks, a red indicator.
Active Task - A task that has one or more active versions.
Inactive Task - A task that has no active versions
Creating a New Task
To create a new Task within a Task Category, go to:
Company Tasks > select an existing Category > click the green + Add button > create Version 1 of the task (see Create a Version of a Task below)
Renaming a Task
To rename an existing task, go to:
Company Tasks > select the Category > select the Task > click the pencil icon to edit the Task Name > > Rename the task > Save
Employee Navigator has added pre-configured tasks within each of the 4 default Onboarding Categories to assist in capturing critical employee data and to enable basic tasks to be quickly activated and assigned to employees. Optional configuration is supported, allowing for customization of the standard text or required action. New tasks can also be created and added to the existing categories. A list of pre-configured tasks per task category and system functionality is included below:
- Welcome - Use the default welcome message or customize the text to welcome new employees to their new company.
- Electronic Signature and Consent - Contains language to which the employee is required to electronically sign providing their consent to receive electronic disclosures, as well as acknowledging that when applying their electronic signature within the system, it has the same validity as a handwritten signature and does not require third party validation. The following Requirement is set as default: “Requires Employee to electronically sign”. Customize the text if desired.
- Address - Requires employees to enter their current home address including Street Address, City, State, County, Zip Code, and Country.
- Form W-4, Employee's Withholding - Designed to capture the information required on the Federal Form W-4 Employee’s Withholding Allowance Certificate. Requirements are set to "Requires Employee to Electronically Sign" by default. Upon completion of the task, the data entered by the employee, along with information from the employee's profile is populated in a PDF version of the Form W-4 which can be accessed on the Employees Documents tab or the completed task.
- State Withholding Form - The state withholding task will display to the employee based on their state of residence. The task is customized based on the information captured on each state's tax form.
- Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification - Designed to allow employers to capture and report on the information required on the Form I-9. During the employee completed portion of the task, the employee completes the required information included in Section 1 - Employee Information and Attestation of the I-9 form. Also captured in this task are the names of the forms of documentation that the employee intends to submit to HR for review. Once the employee has completed the required fields this task will then pend for HR Review. Requirements are set to "Require HR Acknowledgement" by default.
- The HR approval process for this task has been designed specifically for the I-9 process. HR will review the employee completed information and have the option to "Reassign" to the employee if they have reason to believe the information provided by the employee is not accurate. Otherwise, the HR user will complete the fields required in Section 2 - Employer or Authorized Representative Review and Verification of the I-9 form.
- Self Identification (EEOC) - Provides the employee with the opportunity to report their Race/Ethnicity demographic information as required for EEOC reporting. As this requirement is designated by the EEOC as voluntary, the task also provides the employee with an option stating that they Prefer not to Self-Identify.
- Emergency Contacts - Collects contact information for the individual the employee designates as the person to be contacted in case of an emergency.
- The Emergency Contact task, by default, will display an option for the employee to select a checkbox that states "I prefer not to identify an Emergency Contact". The task can be modified so that tis option is removed by customizing the task and selecting "Require employee to complete Emergency Contact information".
- CEO Message - sample text of a message from the company CEO for you to use or build off of. This is only suggested text and can be customized as desired using our built in text editor with basic formatting options.
- Confidentiality Agreement - Provides a sample Confidentiality Agreement added as text to the task configuration. This is only suggested text and can be customized as desired using our built in text editor with basic formatting options.
- Exchange Notice - Includes sample text to communicate information on the employee’s option to purchase Health Insurance through the Health Insurance Marketplace. Text can be customized using our built in text editor with basic formatting options.
Company Policies and Procedures
- Review Our Company's Employee Handbook - This task has been added as a placeholder, and requires the user to upload the company's Employee Handbook to complete the task functionality. Requirements are set to "Require Employee Acknowledgement" by default.
Safety and Training
- Your rights under the Occupational Safety & Health Act - Task contains OSHA required text to inform workers of their rights under the Occupational Safety & Health Act. All covered employers are required to display the OSHA “Job Safety and Health: It’s the Law” poster in their workplace. Text can be customized and new versions created by the user as updates to policy occur. Requirements are set to "Require Employee Acknowledgement" by default.
Sorting Onboarding Tasks
Most tasks within the same category can be sorted in the order in which you would like them to be presented to employees. For more information see Sorting Onboarding Tasks.
Within each Task, users can create multiple Versions. New Versions can be created when a task needs to be updated or corrected, or when different groups of employees need to be presented with group specific information for the specified task.
Each Version of a Task will have a status of Active or Inactive and will be display in the appropriate section of the Task Versions page. Versions may also have a "Locked" status. Active Locked Versions will display a "lock" icon next to the Version name.
Active Version - A Version that has been set to active. Active versions are assignable to employees and will be visible to employees to view and complete. New Versions will be set to active when they are created. To deactivate a Version which is no longer needed, select "Deactivate" from the action menu next to the Version on the Task Versions page.
Inactive Version - A Version that has been set to inactive. Inactive versions are not visible to employees regardless of their assignment status and cannot be assigned to employees. To reactivate an inactive Version, select "Reactivate" from the action menu next to the Version on the Task Versions page or click the "Reactivate" button within the inactive Version. Reactivating the Version will enable assignment and the ability to edit unlocked fields.
Locked Version - A Version that has been assigned and completed by one or more employee(s). Once one employee has completed the Version assignment, the Version will is locked for editing for compliance purposes. Only the "Version Name" and the "Applies to" fields will be able to be updated once a version has been locked. If an update needs to be made to the Task, a new Version should be created.
Unlocked Version - A Version that has not been assigned, or has been assigned but has not been completed by any employees. All fields of an unlocked/active Version are editable.
Create a New Version of a Task
Once a Task has been created, a Version must be created and configured to include all task information to be communicated to employees, display settings, applies to rules, and requirements. To create a new Version of a Task, go to:
Company Tasks > select a Category > select a Task > click the green Create a New Version button > Configure Version Fields > Save
Version Setup Fields
Task: The Task Name can be edited from the Task Versions page and will apply to all versions of the task.
Version: Use the default numbering sequence or edit to customize the version name.
Version Display Name: Used to distinguish tasks and versions for reporting and display purposes. To change the Version Display Name, edit the name of the task or version. This text can be selected to display to employees instead of the Task Name.
Task name displayed to employees: Choose “Task Name” or “Version Display Name” as the name displayed to employees when completing or viewing this task version.
Employee Instructions: Use this field to provide instructions to employees. This text will display to employees when completing or viewing this task version.
Applies to: Select the employees who will be eligible for this task version. Only eligible employees will be available for version assignment. Select "Manually Assigned" to prevent this task version from appearing in the bulk assignment tool; Manually Assigned versions will only be assignable at the employee-by-employee level.
Requirements: Select any combination of the below requirements, or none. Selecting none will result in the assignment record being marked as "Complete" when the Task Version content is viewed.
- Requires Employee's acknowledgement - A check box will display after the employee reviews the task content. Employee is required to check the box indicating acknowledgement before the assignment record will be marked as complete. An acknowledgement date stamp is saved to the assignment record.
- Requires Employee to upload a document - "Upload document" tool is presented to the employee. The employee must upload a document before the assignment record will be marked as complete.
- Requires Employee to electronically sign - A "Sign" button will display after the employee reviews the task content. Employee is required to click the sign button agreeing to the application of their electronic signature before the assignment record will be marked as complete. The electronic signature and and date stamp are saved to the assignment record.
- Requires HR's acknowledgment - After all employee required actions on the task have been completed, the assignment record will pend HR Approval. The record must be approved by HR before it will be marked as complete.
What Should the Employee Do:
- Review a document that I will upload: Used when a document will be uploaded for employee review. Add a Title and upload a document.
- Review a web page: Used to direct the employee to review a webpage. Add a title and the Web Page URL.
- Watch a video: Used to direct the employee to watch a web-hosted video. Add a title and the URL of the video. Videos housed on YouTube or Vimeo, will display to the employee in an embedded window. Videos on other URLs will display to the employee in a new browser tab.
- Review custom text that I will insert below: Used to add custom text for the employee to review.
- Employee will upload a file: Used when the task do not include content for the employee to review, rather the employee is required to upload a document. Include instructions on the required upload in the "Employee Instructions" field. Upon completion of the task, the uploaded document can be accessed on the Employees Documents tab.
Copy an Existing Version
To copy the content of an existing Task Version, select Copy from the action menu next to the Version on the Task Versions page or use the Create a Copy button within an active Version.