Any active Version of a Task can be assigned to employees in bulk or on an employee by employee basis. Inactive Versions of Tasks are not assignable to employees. However, if an active Task Version exists within an Inactive Task Category, the version can be assigned to the employee, but will not be visible to the employee until the Category has been reactivated.
From the employee point of view, each assignment record displays as a Task to be completed. When referencing Tasks and Versions throughout the article below, note that any Task can have multiple active Versions and Assignment Records can exist for each Version of a Task. When referring to Task Assignment Records, note that within the system, all Assignment Records are tied to a Version of a Task.
Reassignment of Tasks
Versions of Tasks can be assigned to employees as many times as necessary. Each time a Version is assigned to an employee, a new Task Assignment Record is created and all prior Assignment history is retained and reportable.
The ability to Reassign the same Version of a Task to an employee multiple times provides a way for users to accurately track reoccurring Tasks such as annual Policy Reviews required for compliance. Versions can also be reassigned to an employee who did not properly complete the task when previously assigned.
Additional details on the reassigning tasks in bulk or for an individual employee are included below.
Assigning Tasks during the New Hire Process
When the Onboarding app is active, users can easily assign active Tasks with the four Onboarding Categories to new employees while creating the employee record in the system. The Onboarding Categories are: Getting Started, Orientation, Policies & Procedures, and Safety & Training.
To add a new employee, go to:
Home or Employees > Add Employee >Add SSN > Add Personal Information > Add Employment Info > Onboarding
During the Onboarding step of the Add Employee process, users can assign active Versions of Tasks to the employee. All Tasks/Versions for which the new employee meets the "Applies To" conditions will display and will be pre-checked by default and users have the option to deselect any task if the employee is not required to complete it.
If a Version has been configured with the "Applies to" rule set to "Manual Assignment", the Task Version will display in the Onboarding step in the Add Employee process, but will be unchecked by default. If the task is required for the employee being added to the system, the task can be selected by the user.
- If multiple active versions of a Task exist, and all versions are applicable to the employee, all versions will display as separate Tasks to be assigned to the employee. Best practice dictates that outdated Tasks should be deactivated by the user to prevent unnecessary Assignments.
- For additional information on the "Applies to" setting within the Version setup, see Create and Manage Tasks and Versions.
Bulk Assign Tasks to Employees
Using the Bulk Assign tool, users can assign Active Versions of Tasks to multiple employees at once. This tool will be used most often when a new Task/Version is created and needs to be assigned to all existing employees, or all employees who have not yet been assigned to the Version. The Bulk Assign page can be accessed using one of the following paths:
- Tasks > TOOLS > Bulk Assign > select a Task > select a Version
- Tasks > Select a Category > Select a Task > use the action menu next to the Version > Assign > you will be directed to the Bulk Assign Page for the Task and Version
On the Bulk Assign page, use the selector to chose from the following options:
- All Employees: Selecting this option will display all employees who meet the "Applies to" conditions on the version. Note that this will include employees who have not been assigned; employees who have been assigned, but have not completed; and employees who have already completed the Task.
If the version has already been assigned to the employee, another Assignment Record will be created. This could result in the employee being required to complete multiple duplicate Tasks, so users should confirm that this is the desired result prior to assigning to All Employees.
- Employees not assigned: Selecting this option will display all employees who meet the "Applies to" conditions on the Version and who do not have a previous Assignment Record. Employees who were assigned, but the assignment was Dismissed will also display.
- Task Versions configured with the "Applies to" setting "Manual Assignment" cannot be assigned through the Bulk Assign tool and must be assigned at the employee level.
Assign Tasks to an Individual existing Employee
Tasks can be assigned at the individual employee level if the employee profile has already been created in the system. This process will also be used for Tasks configured as "Manual Assignment".
To assign a Task to an employee, go to:
Tasks > TOOLS > Manage Employee > search for employee > locate the Task and Version to be assigned >
- If an assignment record does not exist for the employee: click assign + to create the Assignment Record.
- If an Assignment Record already exists already exists for the employee and it is necessary to create an additional assignment record: use the action menu to Reassign the Task to the employee.