Overview of the Express Services Sync file
With the Aflac Everwell integration, Employee Navigator acts as the bridge between 2 Aflac systems. Everwell is Aflac's enrollment system and Express Services is the automated file delivery system. Employee Navigator connects employees to Everwell to enroll in an Aflac individual product and then syncs the ongoing changes via the Express Services file. The ongoing electronic file will be provided to Employee Navigator on a predetermined schedule and automatically processed to relay coverage changes as they relate to additions, changes, or cancellations.
The Express Services file serves 2 specific uses:
- To pre-load accurate, existing coverage records into Employee Navigator before a case goes live. This will ensure that employees or agents are presented with the correct enrollment data at the point of enrollment and can make a confident decision on whether to keep, change or cancel existing coverage. Please note that timing is key to this use case as it can take up to 14 days for the 1st sync file to be generated and processed.
- To maintain the data integrity of enrollment records and associated deductions in EN. Because Express Services is the true system of record, coupled with the fact that changes for these individual products can be made by contacting Aflac directly, we have created a tool to keep records in EN in sync.
How do I request the Express Services sync file?
The Express Services sync file is automatically triggered when an agent selects Employee Navigator as the TPI during the Everwell configuration for individual (aka traditional) plans. The file is generated by the Express Services system and loaded to an outbound FTP server on a weekly schedule. Please note: It can take up to 14 days for the first Express Services to be processed.
Where do I locate the Express Services sync file tool?
Users will be able to access the Express Services sync tool at the company level via the Benefits tab > Third Party Apps on the left navigation panel > Aflac Express Services page.
How does the sync work?
Once the first file is created, it is then scheduled and transmitted by Aflac to the outbound FTP server on a weekly basis (weekly on Thursdays). Employee Navigator has a nightly job on Fridays that imports all new Express Services files from the server and attempts to process them, matching on the Group Number (aka Master Account Number).
- The Group Number is populated in Employee Navigator when the administrator imports the TIW to create the Everwell plans. The Group Number cannot be manually added.
- You can view the Group Number by navigating to the Company "Benefits" tab > "Third Party Apps" on the left navigation panel click > click "Edit" link next to the Aflac account ID
How do you know when a sync file has been processed?
On the Set-up tab of the tool, at least one, preferably 2 or more, email addresses must be entered to receive a notification when a sync file is entered. When the file is imported and/or processed, Employee Navigator will send an email to notify the administrator whether a file has processed and/or needs manual intervention to fix errors.
When a file is processed or encounters errors, Employee Navigator will send an email notification to the system administrator(s) indicated in the Notification box on the Express Services page in Employee Navigator. It is important to note that, similar to the import tool, the system may fail the file in it's entirety OR it may process some records on the file while erroring individual rows; the error reasons are outlined below.
What types of errors could be encountered and how do you fix them?
- Parsing error: file cannot be imported or processed
- Employee Navigator was unable to import the file. The premier user will need to reach out to EN in the form of a support ticket for assistance in fixing.
- Mismatch error: actionable error that can be fixed by the system administrator
- Inability to match an employee on the file to an employee in the system. The administrator can search by SSN or Last Name to manually match the EE record and then reprocess.
- Product group (benefit) is not configured in system. The administrator can create and activate the plan and then re-process the file.
- Threshold error: Employee Navigator pauses the automatic processing of the file for manual review by the broker or HR
- Automatic processing will be paused when the per pay period cost on the file is is greater than a 7% variance of the per pay cost in EN for 33% or more of the records on the file.
What is the “Disparities” drop-down?
The disparity window is the period of the time that Employee Navigator will wait before replacing the Everwell enrollment election with the Aflac master policy data. If Aflac does not issue a policy or the policy is cancelled, then the record will not appear on the sync file, and Employee Navigator will end coverage with an end reason of “Removed by partner system.” The default setting for the disparity window is 30 days, however an administrator could change it to 14, 45 or 90 days.
How do I know if enrollment records changed?
Because this process is automated, enrollment and deduction records may be updated so it is important to create a process for reporting purposes.
- For integrated payroll, deduction changes are transmitted to the payroll vendor via EN’s payroll API.
- For non-integrated payroll, changes are reportable on Payroll Deduction Changes report (on the Reports tab). Our best practice recommendation is to train HR or payroll to establish a process whereby they run a report prior to submitting payroll. A wall feed would be another option, however depending on group size, this may be cumbersome to manage.
How do I notify Aflac of employment terminations?
At this time (March 2019), employment terminations are not automatically sent to Aflac to end coverage, but this item is in Employee Navigator’s development queue.
In the interim, Aflac traditional plan changes, including notifying Aflac of employment terminations, can be made by the payroll administrator through Aflac’s Business Services system. This is the standard process for facilitating billing and changes on the traditional plans.
Special exceptions to automate notifying Aflac of employment terminations outside of the Business Services system may be made for large cases. For an exception, submit a request to AccountRelations@aflac.com and someone will reach out directly to you to assist with getting this set-up.
- The same errors are flagged on each weeks file, how do I fix them once and for all?
- Why do I see records with an end reason set to Removed by partner system?
- Is it ok to sync during OE?
- How do I turn off the Express Services File?
- Can I use the integration or sync file for Aflac group products?