Scheduled Demographic Changes
What is a Demographic Change Event?
Employee Navigator is a rules based system. Because of this, flexibility is offered in a way that allows each company to be completely unique and customizable to fit their HR's company design and rules. Demographic based rules can be used to drive:
- GI Rules
- Defined Contributions Funding
- EDI Changes
- ACA Codes and Reporting
- Payroll Codes
- And more!
E.g. A company that has part-time benefit ineligible employees and full-time benefit eligible employees may want to add all employees to Employee Navigator but make sure that only full-time classes employees are offered benefits. Similarly, when a part-time employee has an increase in hours, they want to simply move this employee to the full-time classification and offer the employee benefits for the first time. This company might:
- Add a "Class" labeled "Part-Time"
- Add a "Class" labeled "Full-Time"
Once all employees are assigned their respective class, Employee Navigator will calculate the employee eligibility and only offer benefits to eligible classes employees.
When an employee moves from part-time to full-time or vice versa, Employee Navigator will also have a tool available for users to specify the effective date of change (Demographic Change Date), and once again, new eligibility or ineligibility will be calculated automatically.
This is an example of a a Demographic Change.
For more information on Demographic Changes and how to enter or track Demographic Changes manually or via Import, check out our article:
For more information on building rules for Eligibility specifically, check out our article:
What if a demographic change is slated to occur in the future?
Demographic Changes are tracked on each employee record. Demographic Changes must be made in the order in which they occur throughout the employees employment. Changes to Demographic Dates can only be made between the last Demographic Change Date and up to 31 days in the future.
E.g. Employee was hired on 1/1/10 as "Part-Time" Class. Employee has an increase in hours effective 9/1/19. Once this Demographic Change Date is entered, the next Demographic Change must have an effective date =/> 9/1/19 (but no more than 31 days in the future. If today's date is 9/22/19, the employee's Demographics can be changes effective any date between 9/1/19 and 10/23/19.
Any effective date of change that is great than the date that the change is entered will be considered "Future Effective" and will be Scheduled to change on this date. Scheduled Changes are activated automatically by Employee Navigator.
- Demographic Changes, regardless of the date being past, present, or future, can be made from the employee's Profile which houses all demographic fields that can be used in company rules.
- When a field is changed that will impact one of our rules above, the Admin will be prompted to enter a Change Effective Date.
- Once a date is entered, the Admin can select "Next" to view a Preview of plan and/or enrollment changes that will occur as a result of the effective date entered.
- Admin has the choice to cancel the change now or commit the change.
- If the effective date of change is past or present, the change will be committed permanently.
- If the effective date of change is future, the change can be canceled before it is activated.
NOTE! Demographic Fields that are scheduled to change as of a future date will be locked from changes. If the field needs to be changed before the future effective date, cancel the future scheduled change. If an employee has a scheduled change pending activation, addition fields can be scheduled to change as of a future effective date, but the effective date must match the actively scheduled change date.
Why are the changes scheduled and not effective immediately?
The purpose of a Scheduled Change is to ensure that no changes take effect or ship to a carrier before the change is official. Scheduling gives HR the ability to relieve their administrative tasks of documenting the changes in Employee Navigator as soon as possible. There are a number of events that can take place in the employees career that could result in a canceled change (e.g. the employee is terminated, the employee has another Life Event, the employee reconsiders a promotion or move within the company). By scheduling the change, Admin is given a window of time in which the change is still subject to change which will allow for the scheduled change to easily be canceled.
How do I cancel a Scheduled Change?
From the Employee Profile > select "Scheduled Changes". This page allows users to view and manage active and historical scheduled demographic changes.
If something goes wrong or another event changes the future scheduled demographic change, A “Cancel” tool has been added to the Scheduled Changes page that will allow users to cancel a scheduled demographic change if the change is incorrect or there is a change in employment. A scheduled change can only be canceled prior to the effective date. Once the change has been activated on the specified date, this option will no longer be available.
How do I view all Scheduled Changes?
Scheduled Changes and history of Scheduled Changes can be viewed from the individual employee Profile > Scheduled Changes. A report has also been added to the company level Reports tab > under Audit Reports > Scheduled Demographic Changes.
How can I track Scheduled Change activity?
The following new events have been added for scheduled class change tracking and will be written on the employee timeline and accessible through event reporting:
- Demographic Change Scheduled – written when a demographic change is scheduled for an employee
- Demographic Change Activated – written when a scheduled change is activated by the system on the designated effective date.
- Demographic Change Canceled – written when a scheduled demographic change is canceled.
- A field that is scheduled to change will be locked from additional changes on the HRIS Profile until the scheduled change is activated or canceled.
- Future Demographic Changes cannot be scheduled via import.
- If an employee has a scheduled demographic change, the employee row will be skipped on all Employee Census or Demographic Change Imports. Changes must be made on the Employee Profile manually.
- Scheduled Changes will be canceled automatically upon employee termination.